Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"I like my money right where I can see it...hanging in my closet!"

Ohhh, Carrie Bradshaw--how you epitomize my thought process, time and time again! So here's the thing: I am absolutely OBSESSED with fashion. Not only fashion, but style. The artistic process of having an idea, putting together a garment, choosing color and everything else in between all of those steps, and not particularly in that order. I've always been a fan of clothing in general, especially designer items and quite frankly it's in my blood to be a part of this industry, I'm now sure of it. My grandmothers have always designed and sewn up clothing, one of them worked for Vogue in New York City in the 40's and 50's. My mom had instilled in me when I was younger that although we weren't making clothes as a means to get by, it always gave you what you wanted. It was, I believe, her way to get exactly what she was looking for and put her own creativity into the mix.

Needless to say, with all the women in my family being creative in the aspect of fashion, both the design and production of a garment, my mom signed me up for sewing lessons when I was younger. It was a pretty legit place, actually and I hate to say it but I don't even know how many times a week I would go. Let's just put it this way, I felt like I freaking lived there. While most little girls were still in dance lessons, I was learning how to produce what I loved, and that was clothing. By age 11 I had my first fashion show, which showcased 4 garments I created. And let's be real here, I know for a fact one of the garments was a bubble skirt that had bright red, purple, yellow and white tulips all over it...another garment was a pajama set. It was nothing haute couture, believe me, but it was something. After that point, I became a little sick of all of it and moved on.

However, sophomore year of high school we had a term paper. I had been known for carrying around a (fake..ugh...) Louis Vuitton Speedy 30 bag and decided I would write my term paper on the evolution of fashion and style. I did great on it, and debated a career in the fashion industry.

Lo and behold, I was a Business Economics major in college, but had a few really great opportunities in the fashion industry. I was an intern for Betsey Johnson in NYC and actually, in the end, got to work at Fashion Week where she showed her Fall 2007 collection. I also recently ended an internship at Hanesbrands in NYC where I assisted with the Bali, Barely There and Wonderbra lines in the Merchandising department. I loved all of the color and design that surrounded me, which kind of leads me to the place I am at currently.

I want a full-time job in fashion. For awhile I was unsure if it was REALLY something I wanted. After interning in, I swear, EVERY aspect of business, I really, really enjoy the style industry. Creativity, design, production, merchandising and what have you...I love it all! It can be a tough industry to work in, I'll say that. There are times when it seems like it's dead end and there are times when you are so high off of the excitement of being under The Tent at Fashion Week in Bryant Park. I wanna do it. I definitely wanna do it.

So, there you have it. My history in the world of style and fashion. Know any contacts in the industry? Holler at your girl.

No comments: